6 ways to work at home with kids during SUMMER


Are you a work at home mom? Is the impending summer giving you moments of terror and you realize for three solid months, your quiet workplace will be invaded. As a WAHM going into my 4th summer, I have some tips for you. Balancing being a good mom, and a great business owner is a very touchy balance but is possible. So, enjoy my tips to help make your summer working at home with kids more doable.


6. Set a schedule

During summer, when your home with kids, it is so easy to say everyday "It's ok to sleep in it's summer!". Yet, you still have to attempt to get eight hours worth of work completed. The entire family needs to stay on some kind of schedule to assure peace amongst the entire house. Nothing is worse than when your knee deep in work and WWIII has just erupted above your head, because your daughter decided to enter your son's room and he didn't want her in there. Making sure everyone has had plenty of sleep will save your sanity, as well as your kids. Having scheduled time for you to complete your daily work will also help you not fall behind across the summer. Your work time can be scheduled relax time or reading time for the kids, that way quiet will be the focus for those moments. During school, every moment of a kids day is scheduled, so they will respond well. I'm not saying you have to schedule every minute, however, setting a time every day for you to get your work done and letting the kids know, can go a long way.

5. Try to have an adventure every week

When you get out of the house, you'll be able to clear your mind as well as enjoy your kids. Making each day an adventure in midst of work will give you and them a needed break, giving them something to look forward to. Research your nearby parks & rec department as they usually host lots of family friendly activities during the summer. Also, check your local college and university website, several schools do programs in the summer to benefit the community. Make it a goal to visit something in your hometown each week. Sometimes a fun outing perks up the summertime humdrum of toys, video games, and the house.

The idea of an outing weekly making your wallet cringe? Across the county, great programs are in place to make this easy for families. Take a look at these links and enjoy.
Regal Cinemas Summer Movie Express 2016
Kidsbowlfree.com
Kidsskatefree.com
Barnes and Noble Summer Reading Program
Microsoft Youth Spark Camp
National Park Service
Apple Store Youth Programs

4. Have your kids invest time in your business

A family that works together stays together. If you can have your kids help, even in the slightest ways, they will be more understanding and invested in what your doing. My daughter loves doing "Avon". She went from simply helping bag brochures and samples, to helping talk to people and ask if they would like an Avon book. Begrudgingly, my son has helped, however he understands how much work it takes and won't interrupt if he see's I am trying to complete something. When kids invest their time, they are as well investing their focus, even if it's just a few moments.


3. Library Summer Reading Programs


As a child, I was so excited every-time June rolled around. The summer reading program was filled with fun, treats, and a great challenge. I must have devoured Babysitter's Club and Sweet Valley High's thanks to these programs. When I talk to other parents they look at me like I am crazy. These programs still exist. In the process of moving across the country, we learned this is a universal truth. So, get your kids enrolled and excited about this challenge. Many libraries also run extra programs like Lego Club, Mommy and Me book club, and Family Storytime.

2. Set boundaries and don't be sorry

Teaching our kids how to set boundaries is always a hard thing to do. However, it is crucial to summertime survival. Your not a terrible mom because you say, "For the next two hours I need you to not bother me as I have to work." When you do this, your not being mean, you are showing them how to respect boundaries and even how to set them as they get older. My daughter is probably the best example of this, when it's homework time, she politely asks "I am doing my homework, please do not talk to me until I am done." This is a skill they will have to learn to survive in the world today. There is a great article by empoweringparents.com that addresses this is great detail. Parental Roles: How to Set Healthy Boundaries with Your Child

1. Allow yourself a chance to enjoy summer


One thing I had to remember, is my kids will only be young once. There are a limited amount of summers they will be at home with me. My husband and I chose for me to work from home in order for me to be home with them. My first summer as a work at home was miserable for all, because I decided to stress and freak out as I was not getting work done. I didn't set a schedule, and I felt guilty for telling my kids I needed to work. When I let all that stress go and realized there is only one summer my son will be 8 and my daughter will be 6, my stress began to disappear.

So, don't let the purpose of working at home be defeating by working at home all the time. Adjust your work schedule, set those boundaries, and allow for momentary summer moment. Grab the water guns and run around the back yard. Fire up the grill and have a BBQ for lunch. Take an unplanned adventure and head to the beach. Whatever you do, allow you a chance to enjoy this time. Not just because your kids will only be young for this moment, but because you deserve the time to soak up the sun and love on your kids.


If you would like to start your own work at home business and work with our team. Click the following button.

Comments

Popular Posts